Wednesday, May 23, 2007

RW: StarDoc Series Finale

Today I'd like to have a discussion with my StarDoc readers, and talk about the future of the series.

The hardest part of being a series writer in today's industry is that we never know if we'll get a chance to finish. That's been the case with StarDoc since I sold the first two novels. I planned the series to work as an open-ended story, which helped keep me writing without any guarantees or contract safety nets, but I also hoped I'd be given the opportunity to finish what I'd begun.

On the plus side of things: nine years after signing that first contract, StarDoc is still going strong. All the books remain in print, I just sold two more, and the readership continues to grow every year. Things have never been better for the series.

The thing is, the longer a writer's series goes on, the more likely it will end unfinished. I'm not getting any younger, either. Not that I plan to check out any time soon, but I'd hate to get hit by a truck tomorrow and leave things hanging.

Which brings me to my point. I want to write the final draft of the last StarDoc novel this year. I'll put copies of the manuscript in care of some family and friends so that it's safe, in the event the Fed Ex guy makes me into roadkill or something. But in order to write Cherijo and Reever's finale, I need to decide exactly when to end the series.

Book ten is starting to look good to me as the final novel. That would give me two books to resolve some things and bring the story to a graceful close. I believe I could sell one more novel in the series by 2008, but if I couldn't, I'd have no problem with publishing it as a free e-book. It would be the greatest way to pay you guys back for all you've done to promote the series.

I also think that ten books is a decent run for a SF series. I'd rather not keep writing blind, never knowing when it will get dumped again. I can and probably will write more books set in the StarDoc universe. It's an immense place and I've got plenty more stories there to tell.

StarDoc is the foundation series of my career, though, and I feel very strongly that the readers who have stuck by me on this ride deserve a completed story. This is not about the money; I can make money doing other things. Nor is it something I want decided by Publishing, the agent, the editor, or anyone else but us. We've been through a lot together, and this is our business.

Let me know what you think in comments.

62 comments:

  1. I agree. I love the series, but I hate the ones that go on and on, with no end in sight and a declining plot structure.

    I think a well written series - from beginning to end - should be like an enormous book split into 300+ page chapters.

    As to the last book: David Weber has already written the last Honor Harrington in case something happens to him.

    It's important that you control the finish. I'll be sad to see the series go - but I'm sure you've got something else up your sleeve, too.

    Of course, Cherijo could always pop up in a cameo role in another book - she and Reever deserve a happy ending after all you've put them through for our entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea, Lynn. Not because I want to see it go, or have contempt for it, I haven't read them (yet), but because you're doing something that not many writers decide to do. You're putting the reader first.

    Robert Jordan wrote, and is writing the Wheel of Time series, and according to one of my friends (she's read them...all of them...I haven't) he nearly died while he was writing it, and isn't in the greatest of health and he's still writing the series. Stephen King wrote the Dark Tower books and whether or not the series would ever find its conclusion was kinda doubtful. After all, he got run down by a truck...or in his case a van, and he nearly died, and nearly left the series unfinished.

    To end the series would be sad. Lots of your loyal readers would be sad to see it go, but I admire your decision. And besides, it's not like it's the total end of the series. You said you can write more books in the StarDoc universe, and like Jaye said, Cherijo and Reever could always make a cameo.

    You amaze me how you always think of the Reader and the writing before anything else. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit it, my first thought was: "NOOOOOOOOO!" However, I'm loving the StarDoc series and don't want it to end.
    BUT! if you feel ten is a good number, ten it is. I'll still be buying books 8-10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:00 AM

    I have just read the 1st Stardoc about a week ago and loved it. Think they idea of a complete series is a good one, like the idea of finality.

    Sarah NZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherijo is my favorite of all the charcters you've written. Your Stardoc books keep me up reading late into the night, but as much as I love the series, I can see your point.

    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:20 AM

    The StarDoc series is one of my all time favorites! While I'm bummed that it'll only comprise 10 books, I'm also interested in seeing how you'll draw it to a close. Series finale or not, the StarDoc books are the type I re-read from time to time. They're fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bridget Medora7:25 AM

    I gotta echo what Jason said about how you always put the reader and the writing first. God bless you.

    I adore StarDoc, and I agree with your whole thought process about bringing it to a good end. But part of me, a teeny-tiny, supercurious part, wonders how much would have to be left out. I think I remember reading somewhere on this blog that you originally outlined fifteen StarDoc novels...is that right? Either way, taking everything into consideration, ending with ten in a planned, graceful way sounds best. Sounds satisfying.

    And like you said, still plenty more stories in that universe....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, I had this conversation with Joe Konrath last summer. We discussed Nick Kepler vs. Jack Daniels and our respective plans for each character. At the time, I felt good about my chances of taking Nick to another publisher. Now?

    Not without a major reboot.

    However, Joe had a bone of contention with me. I said I know Nick's final words, and the thing is, you don't know if he lives or dies, only that there will never be another book about him. I said I planned this to happen twelve books in.

    His comment was you can't kill off your series if the publisher is making money off of it.

    Hmm...

    I think it's a difference in approach. My character was planned to age about a year between books, so he'd be pushing 50 by the time he finished.

    Joe likes to keep Jack perpetually at 48 because "it's hard to kick ass at 60."

    I think, though, when someone like you, Lynn, is able to go beyond a series, you do it a great service by wrapping it up. The other problem with long-running series is they often stay past their sell-by date.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My DH and I will be eagerly waiting for the next StarDoc books - however few or many they may be. Cherijo and Reever and their family, friends and enemies will remain part of our lives and we'll revisit them often. You rock, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:20 AM

    It's your world, so you make the rules but I appreciate your considering the reader's pov. I would hate to see the series end but would rather it end on your terms. I echo the sentiments of the others saying that Cherijo & Reever could make cameo appearance in other stories set in their world but my rule is you write it and I'll buy and read it with great pleasure!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say, when I finished Endurance, I wasn't sure I wanted to read subsequent books. I know conflict is vital to a story, but Cherijo was starting to feel like a drama queen to me. My hubby bought me Rebel Ice and Plague of Memory and I was astounded. No more drama queen! I'll be re-reading the series this summer as a learning tool.

    I agree that you should end the series on your own terms. There should be a happy ending, and if you got the bug to write in that world again, you could continue with Marel. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As much as I hate to see the StarDoc series end, I prefer a series that properly ends, than left open with many unanswered questions.

    Leaving a series unfinished is like watching the first hour and a half of a two hour movie, and never seeing the end. (I know, I turn on movies when going to bed and ALWAYS fall asleep halfway through them).

    I thank you for writing a great series. Here's to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:28 AM

    I've read all the Stardoc novels and am a devoted fan. Hearing you say that you've planned the end is wonderfully sad for me. But it's better to have a definite end then....infinity. Anything can happen to anyone of us and I think it's wonderful that you're thinking of the readers and giving us an end to Cherijo's journey. You can alway write more books in the Stardoc universe which is (almost) as good as Cherijo. Now let's talk about the Darkyn!?!?
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cherijo and Reever are like old friends who will be missed, but need to catch a break. It is a wonderful series and I have enjoyed every step, but I see your point. Ten books seems like a fair amount to tell their story. I know how frustrated I was when the plug was pulled a few years back. As long as there is the Star Doc Universe there are so many different stories still to be told. No matter what choice you make, we will all still be around supporting your writing decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melissa B.10:18 AM

    I was going to say basically exactly what Jaye Patrick said, so I won't bother repeating it.

    As for other books in the Stardoc universe, I'd love to see a story or three following up on Blade Dancer. I loved all the characters and their diversity in that.

    Good luck on making your decision, Lynn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:28 AM

    Hi again, Cathy G here. In my opinion, even if you stop writing the books at book ten, you could always revisit Cherijo and Reever with short stories or with cameos as noted above in other books in the STar Doc universe. The Star Doc series introduced me to Sci Fi, and I absolutely love them, but I do agree that there needs to be closure. I think the idea of wrapping up the series (happily of course)is a good one, but who knows, maybe you could write stand alone books in that universe, maybe with their daughter as the main character.......... ?????

    Thank you so much for thinking of your readers and how we feel. (I love Diana Gabaldon but I wish she'd end the Jamie and Clare series already, because I'm wondering if I'll ever get any closure!)

    Can't wait to find out how you'll wrap it up!!!
    Sincerely, CathyG

    ReplyDelete
  17. StarDoc was the first book I read by you, and I, too, love the characters and their development over the years.

    As much as I love them, I believe an ending where we know what happens is good. Because, you know, there's always other tales you can tell in that universe, like BladeDancer and the BioRescue folks.

    There's also the short stories you've written (I still remember the one set in the first book written from Duncan's point of view), and I can always hope for more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read StarDoc yet, but I always respect a series with a set ending point.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 10 is a good number, and I'd like to see things come to a solid conclusion rather than leave threads hanging. There is LOTS of room in the Star Doc universe for more!

    I like your plan. But I doubt very much you'll have to self epublish the last one as a freebie. I expect you'll have a contract for this verrrrry soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Note to self: drag out the remaining StarDoc books out as much as possible.

    Like Charlene, I'd rather that the series ends on something solid. Besides, you've already demonstrated with Blade Dancer and Bio Rescue that the StarDoc world is viable for other stories, and we are happy to tag along with you wherever you decide to explore in there, and outside StarDoc too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Basically I agree with what everyone else has already said. :)

    I agree with May, I think there is the potential for other standalone stories to be told in the Stardoc Universe. I lover Blade Dancer. And I'd also love to know more about the Jorenian's without having Cherijo there, I think that's why I like Blade Dancer so much. A Diversity of Houses is one of my favourite short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kaelle12:21 PM

    While I love the StarDoc series and would ideally love it to go on, a proper ending to a series is a must. Just like when a TV series is yanked without knowing how it all resolves, a book series also needs the final resolution.

    I can't tell you how much that would mean to me. So, ten books sounds good to me.

    And, like you said, there's plenty more stories you can tell in that universe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In case this shows up twice, blogger is acting wonky for me.

    That big huge whine you hear coming from the north is me. I love Duncan and Cherijo.

    However, as a writer, I understand the need to finish a series. I'd hate for something to keep us from seeing it resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Robin B12:44 PM

    To my delight, I found the first of the Stardoc novels in a used book store about two months ago. Since then (to my husband's and son's dismay LOL) I have acquired and read all of the rest. For me, as much as I would love this series to go on forever, I believe that it should have an end. As I see it, there are but so many universal crises one women should be expected to solve. (LOL) So, I will leave it in your very capable hands to decide when, where, and how this will happen and I promise I won't freak out when you do.

    P. S. It's a real treat to find one author that writes in two of my favorite genre, scifi and dark fantasy. Thank You so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I completely concur with the opinion given so far. As a long-time SF reader, there has been more than once I wish an author would have wrapped up the series and moved on. There's nothing more disappointing when a beloved writer seems to be phoning it in. I believe that *everything* has a natural conclusion.

    You have my admiration and kudos for actually trying to plan your career. Just because you write for a living does not mean you can't plan for the future and the course you would prefer it to take.

    Although I have yet to read any of your fiction, I am a huge fan of this blog. I was referred by a friend because she knows of my published-author aspirations and I love your behind the scenes look at writing. I *know* I can write, but how do you make the business work? The point is that from everything I've seen, you feel far more comfortable when you have a plan. Yes, something may come along to screw it up, but at least you have structure in place to get you back on track. I believe that having a plan actually allows you to be *more* flexible, if you treat it as a guide and not written in stone.

    Perhaps deliberately ending the series before the publisher is ready would be easier if you already had a story in hand set in that universe with a cameo appearance. Besides, you can always point to this survey and the unanimous (so far) support for the decision to create an end to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous4:41 PM

    I dissent! Well, only to catch your attention. I agree with everyone about closure, and having you end the series the way you want. I was only going to propose you consider say ending it at number 12. Because 12 is a magic number, and very cool mathmatically. But you are the story teller, and if you say 10 is the way to go, I know that that's because it really is. I'm just saying, consider 12. Hexagons. Divisible by 3. . .
    JulieB

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been holding off on reading the whole series, (I've only read on e Star_doc) and to be honest, I also like the idea of a finished series. Then I can Buy them all and just spend a couple weeks reading them one after the other. LOL

    Seriously, a finshed series is great, and like you say, the world in immense, so a second series in the same setting would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. As a reader of the series, I would appreciate if you were able to finish it when and where you wanted it finished. One of my other favorite series (Huff's "Smoke" books) are probably done after three when it seems pretty clear upon finishing the third that they hadn't been intended to stop there. That, to me, is much more frustrating than a series where I have an ending. A goodbye. Closure.

    Thank you for thinking of us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jim Winter mentioned Joe Konrath's preference for Joe's character, Jack Daniels, Joe likes to keep Jack perpetually at 48 because "it's hard to kick ass at 60.

    Obviously, Mr Konrath isn't anywhere near 60 yet -- or he doesn't know my hubby, who is thoroughly kicking ass at 70.

    As for StarDoc? Ten it is then. The universe is huge, and you can write more in it if you like. You have clearly demonstrated your writing skills expand beyond the horizon of StarDoc. Why limit yourself?

    As for the folks who prefer to buy the complete set? I plan to do that with the Harry Potter series. I haven't read a single one yet, but I plan to purchase a paperback box set when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think it's important to have an ending to the story... If only because I have watched too many series that go on and on, and each book is so much weaker than the last because the author has run out of ideas, and just wants to continue...

    If you think you have the story properly closed in 10 books, and can end it properly there, I think that's a good idea! Closure is important, especially when readers have gotten so close to the characters...

    Which means, I'm pretty much agreeing with everyone else here :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've only read the first five Stardocs so far (I had to order 6 from B&N) and will be sad to see it end, but I agree that its better to end on a high note. On the other hand, you could do sort of what Mercedes Lackey's done, and do a series of series within the Stardoc universe. That'd be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree, it has to end someday and it would be best to do it properly. Best be a happy ending though, I want Cherijo and Reever to be well taken care of without us.

    ReplyDelete
  34. And it is nice to see others looove Blade Dancer too. I agree with the ones who said it would be nice to have a second book with Blade Dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree that a finished series is better. I have read some series that for many reasons the next book never got wrote or published or whatever and it bites. I would love to have a complete series.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Hmmm,

    Spam on the blog? No new post or replies? Is everything OK?

    JulieB

    ReplyDelete
  37. No matter how much I love a series, I think there do need to be definite end points. I have to know that the characters I've invested myself in and come to love will eventually have some closure for themselves. Yeah, I want them to be able to relax and breathe, at some point. *-*

    I love the idea of working in the same universe, though. The worlds are so huge, and there are always little tidbits in the series books that make me wonder. I think exploring the universe even further adds more to love - and more stories to capture a reader. *-*

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hope the smoke hasn't overwhelmed you down there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Spam that hasn't been deleted and no new posts... I hope everything is alright! Here's hoping that you haven't been smoked out or anything terrible.

    As for your discussion on the end of StarDoc, I agree with everyone else: while it'll be sad to see them go, I would prefer closure to the series. The book count is up to you. If you think that 10books are sufficent to tell Cherijo's story, then I'm more than happy with 10.

    I also echo the thoughts of others regarding Blade Dancer. I really enjoyed that novel and would love to see more - either in that series or another novel about them. They were a fantastic addition to the StarDoc universe.

    ~Briana N.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Everything is fine, and I'll be responding to your comments and deleting that annoying SPAM after I post this.

    It's the last week of school here, and I had to help my daughter and her friend build a model of a soccer game out of edible objects (like a gingerbread house, and Teddy Grahams make very nice miniature soccer players, btw) while simultaneously finishing up revisions for my editor. I got caught up in the whirl, and then next thing I knew it was 1:31 am. I honestly don't know how you mom writers also juggling day jobs do it all.

    Anyway, I'm back, and will be catching up shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous10:31 PM

    Hey,
    We'll be here when you get back. Get some rest. We're waiting for the glue to dry on the Titanic out here in the fields.
    JulieB

    ReplyDelete
  42. cjay00710:42 PM

    Hi..I've just started reading Stardoc series so it's a bit weired to come here and find you're planning to finish the series. However I'd rather see it finish than not know where it's going. I'm glad to see that you've decided to consider readers in this decision. Thanks for writing such a great series. now i'm off to pick up the next in the sereis: Eternity row

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jaye wrote: It's important that you control the finish. I'll be sad to see the series go - but I'm sure you've got something else up your sleeve, too.

    I always do. Such as the five books in the timeline I had planned that won't be included in the series if I end things at book ten -- it doesn't mean I won't ever write them. The prequel story of Cherijo as a teenager in Deimos proved very popular with the readers, and I self-pubbed that right in the middle of the series. I could do something similar with the lost books.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jason wrote: Robert Jordan wrote, and is writing the Wheel of Time series, and according to one of my friends (she's read them...all of them...I haven't) he nearly died while he was writing it, and isn't in the greatest of health and he's still writing the series.

    You got it in one; what's happened with Robert Jordan, his health and his series actually started me thinking about my situation. I've already had to put one series and two trilogies on the backburner without finishing them, and that bugs me as much as it does the readers.

    I'd also like to make this decision now, while things with the series are going great. That way I know I'm doing it for the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mary wrote: if you feel ten is a good number, ten it is. I'll still be buying books 8-10.

    I appreciate the support and confidence in me, Mary. I'd love to write five or ten more novels in the series, but I think book ten is an attainable goal. Anything beyond that would be left up to chance and the whims of Publishing, and this is too important to me to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sarah wrote: I have just read the 1st Stardoc about a week ago and loved it.

    Thanks for investing in it, Sarah.

    Maripat wrote: Cherijo is my favorite of all the charcters you've written.

    I've never written as many books about a character as I have Cherijo, which will tell you how I feel about her. :) It's become almost impossible to imagine not writing about her. That's why I don't see this as an end. I don't think her story will ever end for me. But this particular storyline does need to come to the conclusion I mapped out nine years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous wrote: While I'm bummed that it'll only comprise 10 books, I'm also interested in seeing how you'll draw it to a close.

    I think you'll be surprised, and hope you'll be pleased.

    Bridget wrote: But part of me, a teeny-tiny, supercurious part, wonders how much would have to be left out. I think I remember reading somewhere on this blog that you originally outlined fifteen StarDoc novels...is that right?

    Yes, ma'am. I started with a three-part conflict/story arc, with five books comprising each part, to serve as a series outline, with the potential for more depending on how I progressed the secondary characters and StarDoc's second generation (Marel, the Omorr twins, etc.) By ending it at the tenth novel, I'll be losing five books from the plan, but as I mentioned before, it will give me the freedom to write those five books out of timeline. We can call them the "Lost" Stardoc novels or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jim wrote: Lynn, I had this conversation with Joe Konrath last summer.

    I just finished arguing about my finale with a friend who writes an inspirational series. We're always bickering with each other over, aren't we? :)

    However, Joe had a bone of contention with me. I said I know Nick's final words, and the thing is, you don't know if he lives or dies, only that there will never be another book about him. I said I planned this to happen twelve books in.

    In my case, I planned the last book first, and everything I've written has been gradually moving toward that conclusion.

    His comment was you can't kill off your series if the publisher is making money off of it.

    I respect Joe's opinion, as he's a one-series writer with a modest backlist who has to look out for his future and he's probably being smart, but I don't agree with it.

    This is the tough choice all successful series authors have to face. In my mind, it has to be about the work and the readers, not the money. You can keep pumping out the series books for as long as your numbers hold, but that's like having sex with your spouse only because they want it. It's safe, and it makes them happy, but eventually you end up phoning it in and/or hating yourself.

    Joe likes to keep Jack perpetually at 48 because "it's hard to kick ass at 60."

    Joe should meet my mother, God's inspector general. She's seventy and takes aerobics classes with twenty-year-olds.

    The other problem with long-running series is they often stay past their sell-by date.

    Exactly. I know money is important; we all have to make a living. But I think we also need to do right by the readers and the work, or we all suffer the consequences -- the writer, the readers, and the publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Pandababy wrote: Cherijo and Reever and their family, friends and enemies will remain part of our lives and we'll revisit them often.

    So will I, on the page. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Marie wrote: It's your world, so you make the rules but I appreciate your considering the reader's pov.

    The readers are the reason this series is the success it is. And back when the publisher had dumped it, and I couldn't sell so much as a StarDoc short story for a sack of potatoes, the readers are the ones who kept it alive and growing. I couldn't have brought it back to print without you. I will never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  51. EJ wrote: I have to say, when I finished Endurance, I wasn't sure I wanted to read subsequent books. I know conflict is vital to a story, but Cherijo was starting to feel like a drama queen to me.

    I imagine my going through a divorce at the time I wrote it probably had something to do with that. Of all the StarDoc books, that is the one I can't bring myself to reread. Too many bad memories involved.

    My hubby bought me Rebel Ice and Plague of Memory and I was astounded. No more drama queen! I'll be re-reading the series this summer as a learning tool.

    Lol. I like to think I've done some interesting things with this series as far as world-building, plot structure and characterizations go, but you'll have to be the judge. If I get credit for anything, I want it to be for maintaining one of if not the longest-running monogamous romance subplots in SF. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Folks, I'll be back tomorrow night to continue the discussion. Thanks for your patience, and good night.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I fell in love with the series four or so years ago when my book dealer (gotta love him) first let me borrow StarDoc. It's sad to have the journey end, but I agree that it would be nice to have a finale to tie everything in rather than always wonder when the next book will come out. Waiting for another book after Eternity Row was an - forgive the pun - eternity, and when Rebel Ice was announced it seemed long over due. Anyways, thanks for keeping us in mind. I can't wait for the next StarDoc books (as well as anything else you cook up for us). =D


    I actually do like puns...

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Like pretty much everyone else, I think this is a good idea; I'd rather have a well-finished series than one that goes on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Love reading about Cherijo and Duncan but will be glad to see Duncan put out of his misery, happy and looking forward to the future. Poor guy.

    I agree with just about everything that has been said so will not be redundant.

    Will look forward to the "lost books" when they are ready.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  56. Just have to add my voice to the others and say thank you for such a great series. I have glommed every book you have written and am enjoying the journey as I read them. It does make sense to have closure in a series. I have confidence that you will continue to write stories that we will all want to read.

    One of my all time favorite writers is Roberta Gellis - such a gracious lady. I wrote her a letter over twenty years ago expressing my enjoyment of her Roselynde series. She decided to end the series because as she said if she kept writing she would have to let her original hero Ian and heroine Ailnor die. They were growing older and within the historical period their natural lives would realistically be short.

    I so enjoy reading your post and appreciate you reaching out to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I'm posting before I read the comments, so I don't get unduely swayed by them...

    It's your series, and you need to end it on your terms. As a reader, I appreciate you asking us about it. I love the universe it's set in, and I could read about Squid Lips @ Co. perfectly happily for a very long time. But that said, there is a definite story arc to this series, and if it were to end without resolutions (Maggie, specifically, although there are others) would be a shame.

    I must say, I'd love to see it go on longer than 10, but if 10 is where you feel best ending it, then so be it. I'll just re-read when I need a "fix" and will await other books in this universe as they are released.

    Speaking of this universe, the Luna Colony e-books/ short stories are great fun, and kind of tickle me with the tie-in to the young Cherijo in Deimos...

    Ahem. Okay, enough of that. You're an excellent writer, I always enjoy your books, and you'll make the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Kiti Mitsu2:08 PM

    When I read your comment it brought to mind author David Eddings. A couple years ago, he had a heart attack and when I found out, all I could think was, "I hope he finished writing that series!" On a positive note, David Eddings recovered and completed the series and is still writing strong. As avid fans and readers, we get pretty attached emotionally to favourite characters and storylines.

    I love your Stardoc series and I think that is a great idea that you are thinking ahead and considering us, your fans. I can't say that I am not disappointed, however, I would rather see a story wrapped up and completed than go on much too long. We can all think of examples of series that should have ended years ago.

    So kudos to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. To be honest I was afraid you'd end it with Plague of Memory. I wasn't fond of Jarn in Rebel Ice unfortunately. I absolutely adored Cherijo's wit. And from the little tid bit you gave us from the upcoming novel I'm glad you gave a little bit of Cherijo back but still kept Jarn in tact. I too am looking forward to an ending, althoug I have this feeling that both Reever and CHerijo will end up dying...

    ReplyDelete
  60. Shanna11:08 PM

    I'd like to start the StarDoc novels but where can I find them?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Shanna wrote: I'd like to start the StarDoc novels but where can I find them?

    All seven StarDoc series novels are still in print and available for order from any national bookseller chain store and most independent booksellers. I've noticed that most Borders stores carry several titles from the series.

    The series titles in reading order are:

    StarDoc
    Beyond Varallan
    Endurance
    Shockball
    Eternity Row
    Rebel Ice
    Plague of Memory


    In August the eighth book, Omega Games, will be released nationwide.

    These are science fiction novels, btw, not romance, and I write them under the name S.L. Viehl.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I'll miss Cherijo and Duncan, but if they can come back in short stories, I can live with that. Can Blade Dancer get a sequel?

    Also, I'm sure many of your fans, including myself, would buy your ebooks if your publisher doesn't want to print a book.

    P.S.Thank you so much for your creativity.

    ReplyDelete